News & Insight
9th November 2015
Ten Factors in Successful Fundraising
The Philanthropy Company has based the ‘ten success factors’ on our collective experience working as fundraisers and with clients. These are at the heart of our Foundations in Philanthropy package (which starts on December 2nd, 2015, at Somerset House)
1) To what extent is your vision:
2) How clearly do you articulate your organisation’s uniqueness?
3) What sort of marketing material do you have to get this across – i.e. do you have a Case for Support?
4) Do you have a clear fundraising strategy, including, for example:
a. A simple explanation of:
i. why you need funds?
ii. how much is needed?
iii. An inspiring articulation of the difference that will be made by a donation (impact)?
iv. How much will be raised?
v. How much will be invested? – budgets
vi. What is the likely competition? (i.e. others in the same field)
vii. What are the most likely sources of support?
b. A consideration of all funding streams, for example:
i. Capital fundraising?
iii. Revenue fundraising?
vi. Earned income?
vii. Other income sources?
c. Organisation and structure
i. What staff will be needed?
ii. What skills will they need?
iii. What other resources?
a. To what extent is your leadership team credible and knowledgeable about fundraising?
b. How willing is the board to commit time and resources to fundraising?
6) What sort of volunteers do you have available:
a. patrons or figureheads?
b. a separate development board?
7) How willingly do such volunteers give in terms of:
d. Contacts/ prospects?
8) Do you conduct sound prospect management in terms of:
c. cultivation plan?
9) Since a professional and committed fundraising team should be multi-faceted, what sort of skills and resources are available in areas such as:
c. Prospect research?
d. Financial planning?
e. Impact reporting?
f. Marketing and communications?
10) What understanding and commitment is there for the fundraising effort from other parts of the organisation such as:
d. Marketing and communications?
To find out more about the Foundations in Philanthropy course starting December 2nd at Somerset House click here or call Alistair on 07884 196423