News & Insight
9th May 2023
How can my charity find new donors
As a charity, finding new donors is essential for your long-term sustainability. You need to be able to generate new funds to continue the work you do, and you need to have a reliable stream of income to do so. But how can my charity find new donors?
The most important thing to remember is that you need to be strategic in your approach. Don’t just send out a mass email to everyone on your contact list asking for donations – this won’t generate the results you’re looking for. Instead, you need to be clear in what you’re asking for, why you need it and what the funds will be used for – your ‘case for support’. You must be targeted in your approach and create campaigns that speak to the people you’re trying to reach.
Here are a few tips to help your charity find new donors:
- Have a clear case for support: really think through who you are, what you do, who you benefit and what you need from potential donors.
- Do your ‘prospect research’ on who might be willing to give – look out for organisations and individuals who have an interest or a link to what you do, have a personal connection, or provide a service that is in the same area. Read Kerry Rock’s guide to prospect research – Prospecting for Gold.
- Create compelling content: You want to create content that is engaging, inspiring, and informative. Your content should bring your case for support to life, telling the story about your charity and why people should donate. You can use videos, blog posts, and social media posts to do this.
- Use social media: social media is a powerful tool when it comes to finding new donors. Posting content about your charity, events, and stories of those you’ve helped can be a great way to generate interest in your cause. You can also use social media to connect with potential donors, build relationships, and encourage them to donate.
- Connect with businesses: Reach out to local businesses and ask them to partner with you in your fundraising efforts. They may be willing to offer discounts to customers who donate to your charity or even match their donations. This can be a great way to get more people involved in your cause.
- Get creative: Think outside the box when it comes to finding new donors. Try hosting events to raise money for your charity or come up with unique ideas to generate interest in your cause.
Finding new donors can be a challenge, but with a strategic approach, you can find the people who are passionate about your cause and willing to give.
Contact us at Philanthropy Company: we can help.